The next church council meeting is Tuesday, August 4, at 7:00pm.
The council provides spiritual and organizational leadership for the congregation. They meet once a month to discuss matters of the church and plan for the future. Meetings have an open format; anyone is welcome to come with questions for the council or to contribute to the conversation.
Council Notes from July 7, 2020 Meeting
Your council met on July 7th. We want to keep you informed and in the loop on the church business, especially during these unusual times. Here are highlights from our meeting.
- JCDC has around 20-25 children attending and expect their numbers will continue to increase. The center has paid their monthly reimbursement to the church every month and we commend them on their solid financial management. The first phase of the playground upgrades is mostly completed and they look great.
- Earthquake repairs are moving forward once again. The project manager assigned to our claim by FEMA/SOA has prepared a draft Request For Proposal for our review. We are in the process of reviewing it. Please give Wayne Rush and Jan Deering a big thank you for all their work on this never ending project.
- Speaking of never ending projects, the MSP group is diligently working toward gathering input from each of us about our church, congregation, community and most importantly our goals. Please help them by responding to survey requests etc. so we can move a step closer to finding our permanent pastor.
- We are close to securing a janitorial service. We cancelled our janitorial service when the building closed due to the Covid 19 outbreak. The Mullin family has volunteered to clean for the last few months but as we slowly open up the building we once again need a janitorial service. Thank you again to the Mullin family!
- A Finance/Treasurer report will be included in a later Notes of Joy however I wanted you to have a quick snapshot. Our General Offerings have been consistent over the last 6 months and we are current on all our expenses, including our benevolence payments. During this time of so much uncertainty we are very grateful for your faithful giving.
- Vacation Bible School is scheduled for next week. We have not had VBS for a few years and it is wonderful that we are able to start again even with the current virus challenges.
Your council welcomes your input and suggestions. Please let us know of ways we can continue to stay engaged as a congregation and church family. Thank you for all your support and prayers. Stay safe and stay well.
-Sue Weimer, Council President
Council Notes from June 9, 2020 Meeting
Your council met on June 9th. We want to keep you informed and in the loop on the church business, especially during these unusual times. Here are highlights from our meeting.
- JCDC has resumed limited operations with many precautions. Please notice the awesome upgrades they are making to the playground area. Is that a mini racetrack?!
- Earthquake repairs have stalled a bit however Wayne Rush and Jan Deering continue to work closely with FEMA and the State of Alaska. Due to a number of issues, including Covid disruptions, we have asked for a one year extension for the repair completions so those blue pieces of tape are with us a bit longer.
- Our first in-house service was successful. Every precaution was taken to make it a safe environment however not everyone is ready to worship in person and online services will continue for the foreseeable future. We want everyone to feel included.
- The process for securing a permanent pastor has definitely stalled a bit due to Covid. The MSP group is working to wrap up their work however some of the input from you begs to be discussed in a group discussion. Determining our future goals and priorities are essential for us as a congregation. Once the MSP document is finalized we will begin to form the Call Committee. Don’t get discouraged, we are not the only congregation going thru this but of course that doesn’t make it any easier.
- Finance/Treasurer report will be included in next week’s Notes of Joy.
-Sue Weimer, Council President
Our new 2020 church council:
Sue Weimer – President, Tom Bird – Vice President, Scooter Bentson – Secretary, Clarke Hemphill – Treasurer, Corrine Finnie, Kelly Mullin and Heather Slocum